561 Willamette St., Eugene, Oregon
Aloha Theatre was part of the great movie theater land rush in Eugene between 1909-1912. Manager Ray M. Walker advertised the Aloha as “The Home of Great Vaudeville,” but movies were a regular part of the programming. For example, one week featured two separate contortionists, a musical novelty act, a “comedy playlett,” and 2,000 feet of “classy pictures,” along with a live orchestra. The Aloha also featured the filmed prize fights that were very popular at the time, such as the famous match between Jack Johnson and Stanley Ketchel in 1909.
The Aloha resided at 561 Willamette St., a long and narrow space on a busy block with a bank, two jewelers, and a barber.
General admission to the Aloha ranged from 10-20¢ for adults and 5-10¢ for children, with reduced prices for matinee shows. The Aloha ran regular ads in the Eugene Daily Guard, and offered a special admission coupon for reduced-price admission in 1909.
Local theater entrepreneur J.J. (Joseph) Bryan purchased the Aloha in early 1912, taking on E.L. Campbell as co-owner in April. They changed the name to the Savoy in October 1912 and continued with Ray Walker as manager.