561 Willamette St./825 Willamette St., Eugene, Oregon
The Savoy opened in the fall of 1912 at 561 Willamette St. in downtown Eugene. The address became 825 Willamette after 1913 when the street numbering system changed in Eugene. The theater was in operation until 1918.
Formerly the Aloha, the Savoy’s new owners changed the name and shifted the programming from vaudeville-with-some-movies to a primary focus on movies with occasional vaudeville acts. J.J. (Joseph) Bryan and local businessman E.L. Campbell aggressively promoted the Savoy as “Eugene’s Leading Motion Picture House” and placed regular advertisements in the newspaper to attract audiences.
The Savoy showed all of the popular features and short films of the time, such as Charlie Chaplin and newsreels. “The Stolen Pie,” a locally made film delighted audiences at the Savoy when it screened in 1915.
The daily program changed up to four times a week. Admission was set at the competitive price of 10¢ through 1916.
In 1915 the Savoy had two different distribution contracts, with V-L-S-E (supplying films from Vitagraph, Lubin, Selig, and Essanay), and Paramount Pictures later in the year. By 1916, the theater was no longer affiliated with any particular distributor, at least according to its newspaper ads.